This paper provides detailed recommendations to HUD and to HMIS software vendors on the key changes that should be made in order to improve the technical infrastructure being used to quantify and address the issue of homelessness. These key recommendations, which adhere to the software development methodology known as “service-oriented architecture” (SOA), include:
- Implement web services for referrals;
- Use a data warehouse to meet reporting needs;
- Enroll clients into a project location, not just into a project;
- Make resource information easily accessible;
- Improve data quality with steps for both remediation and prevention;
- Use evidence, not self-reported data.